- Darwin is being placed in another lockdown due to a COVID-19 outbreak, while Sydney recorded close to 500 new daily cases of the virus
- Northern Territory authorities say Darwin and Katherine will enter a snap 72-hour lockdown at midday on Monday amid one new local cases of COVID-19
- Meanwhile, Monday’s 478 new cases is a new record for NSW, the highest number of daily cases recorded since the pandemic began over 18 months ago
- Another seven people died of COVID-19 in Sydney overnight, while a 15-year-old boy died after being treated for the virus and pneumococcal meningitis
- Across Australia, the ACT recorded 19 new cases of COVID-19 and Victoria notched up 22 new cases, with both areas extending their lockdowns
Darwin is being placed in another lockdown due to a COVID-19 outbreak, while Sydney recorded close to 500 new daily cases of the virus.
Northern Territory Chief Minister Michael Gunner said Darwin and Katherine will enter a snap 72-hour lockdown at midday on Monday.
Mr Gunner’s decision follows one new local case of COVID-19 being recorded in the NT, a man heading to Darwin from Sydney.
“The positive case is a man in his 30s, who travelled to the Northern Territory for legitimate work purposes on Thursday, August 12,” Mr Gunner said.
“As a recent international arrival he had been in 14-day quarantine in Sydney.”
The COVID-19 positive man had been infectious while out in the community for several days, visiting various locations across Darwin and Katherine.
This is Darwin’s second lockdown in recent months, with residents ordered to stay-at-home after a number of COVID-19 cases were linked to a mine operation.
Sydney’s outbreak worsens
NSW notched up 478 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday – the state’s highest number of daily cases since the pandemic began over 18 months ago.
NSW recorded 478 new locally acquired cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm last night. pic.twitter.com/RtVyEanPpr— NSW Health (@NSWHealth) August 16, 2021
Another seven people died in Sydney overnight after contracting the virus, which is a grim new record for the state in terms of daily deaths.
A 15-year-old boy also died while being treated for COVID-19 and pneumococcal meningitis in Sydney’s south west on the weekend.
Additionally, all of NSW was placed in a state-wide lockdown on Saturday, with everyone ordered to stay at home for the next week.
Across Australia, the ACT recorded 19 new cases of COVID-19 and Victoria notched up 22 new cases of the virus today.
ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr has decided to extend Canberra’s lockdown for another two weeks until September 2, as the virus spreads to schools and aged-care homes.
“This is a serious situation. We do not want to see the numbers continue to grow,” Mr Barr said.
Melbourne has also extended its lockdown by another two weeks and introduced a 9pm curfew as case numbers continue to hover in the double digits.
A number of examples of non-compliance popped up in the city over the weekend, including an attempted pub-crawl and an engagement party attended by two people with COVID-19.
Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said he was angry these parties took place and said they prevented Melbourne from getting back to normal.
“Every time even a small number of people make bad choices, selfish choices, it takes away from the hard work of others and it means more cases,” Mr Andrews said.