- ResApp Health (RAP) has launched its at-home sleep apnoea screening app, SleepCheck
- The app diagnoses the risk of sleep apnoea from the user's snoring and breathing during sleep
- Sleep apnoea occurs when air stops flowing from the lungs for ten seconds or more during asleep
- If untreated, the apnoea can cause daytime tiredness and has been linked to serious health conditions
- SleepCheck requires no extra accessories to run, and can be used with just a smartphone
- ResApp is up 2.7 per cent on the market this morning, trading shares for 19 cents each
ResApp Health (RAP) has launched its at-home sleep apnoea screening app, SleepCheck.
SleepCheck can be downloaded on a smartphone and analyses a user's breathing and snoring sounds during sleep. In turn, it can provide an assessment of the user's risk of developing sleep apnoea.
Sleep apnoea is a medical condition that is associated with loud snoring. It is where air stops flowing from the lungs for ten seconds or longer while asleep. In severe cases, this can happen more than 30 times per hour.
If the sleep apnoea is untreated, it can cause daytime tiredness, reduced work productivity and an impaired immune system. It has been linked to serious health complications such as heart disease, hypertension, stroke and type 2 diabetes.
"Studies have shown that 80 per cent of people with sleep apnoea are undiagnosed," ResApp said.
It affects more than three in every ten men and nearly two in every ten women.
About the app
SleepCheck requires no extra accessories to run, and can be used with just a smartphone. After downloading the app, users place their smartphone on a bedside table and click the start button.
The app then uses a built-in microphone to test the user's snoring and breathing.
We are excited to announce that SleepCheck is now available on the App Store. For the first time, consumers have direct access to a clinical-grade, regulatory-approved screening tool for sleep apnoea,” said CEO and Managing Director Tony Keating.
“Over a third of Australian adults do not get the duration or quality of sleep needed, which has major consequences for their health, safety and quality of life. Many adults snore, and loud snoring is an important indicator of sleep apnoea,
although it often is ignored. SleepCheck offers an easy way to check if there’s more to your snore," he added.
ResApp is up 2.70 per cent on the market this morning, trading shares for 19 cents each at 10:09 am AEST.