Total
0
Shares
Market Herald logo

Subscribe

Be the first with the news that moves the market
  • Victoria has tightened its lockdown rules due to fears of a second wave of COVID-19
  • The state has seen a rise in cases over the past week, with a further 16 recorded new cases on Sunday
  • The new spike is the largest single-day increase in community transmission for more than two months
  • Victorian hotspots for the virus include Hume, Casey, Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin
  • As a result, NSW residents are being urged to rethink travelling to Victoria
  • Two of the new cases are teachers from Albanvale Primary School, while another two confirmed cases have been linked to retail giant H&M in the Northland Shopping Centre
  • A toddler from New Beginnings Nursery also tested positive for the virus
  • Additionally, Essendon Football Club is currently awaiting team test results after one of its defenders had a positive result for COVID-19

Victoria has tightened its lockdown rules due to fears of a second wave of COVID-19.

On Sunday, the state has recorded another 16 cases. Over the past week, positive test results for the virus have been on the rise. The new spike is the largest single-day increase in community transmission for more than two months.

Today, in Victoria, restrictions were supposed to be eased in cafes and restaurants so they can host up to 50 people. Instead, that has now been delayed for another three weeks.

Simultaneously, Victorians are now only allowed five people in their homes. Meanwhile, occupancy at gyms and fitness classes will be limited to 20 people, while ski resorts will have social distancing restrictions.

Victorian hotspots for the virus include Hume, Casey, Brimbank, Moreland, Cardinia and Darebin.

The state has recently opened its borders to New South Wales, however, residents there are now being urged to rethink travelling to Victoria unless it is essential.

“The strongest advice that we have today is that you should not be travelling to those hot spots at all, unless absolutely essential,” NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said today.

“Reconsider your plans. Reconsider what you’re doing. But certainly, Melbourne is a discretion. We would recommend people not at this stage travel to Melbourne unless they have to,” she added.

New cases linked to school, retail giant and childcare centre

Two of the new cases are teachers from Albanvale Primary School, while another two confirmed cases have been linked to retail giant H&M in Northland Shopping Centre.

A toddler from New Beginnings Nursery also tested positive for the virus. Since then the nursery has been shutdown for cleaning.

Since the beginning of the outbreak, Victoria has recorded 222 coronavirus cases which are believed to have caused by community transmissions.

Professor James McCaw from the University of Melbourne told Nine News that failing to maintain social distancing could lead to a second wave in Victoria.

“To open up cinemas and other venues, we can only do that safely if we practice good hygiene. I know we’ve been running surveys nationwide and compliance with the 1.5-metre rule was as good as 80 per cent in April. It’s as low as 25 per cent compliance now,” he said.

Black Lives Matter Protest linked to COVID-19 cases?

Currently, in Victoria, three people who attended the Black Lives Matter protest have tested positive for COVID-19. However, this number could increase — not just in Victoria, but around the country.

Around 10,000 people attended the protest in Melbourne on June 6.

However, today the Victorian chief health officer voiced his disbelief in the idea the protests were fuelling the outbreak.

“I don’t think the Black Lives Matter protest has contributed. We are not seeing people who have clearly acquired it there,” said Victoria’s officer, Professor Brett Sutton.

AFL player tests positive

Over the weekend, Essendon defender Conor McKenna tested positive for COVID-19. This made the AFL postpone the planned Essendon versus Melbourne game on Sunday.

During the COVID-19 lockdown, Conor went to Ireland and arrived back in May. He has been training with his teammates since his quarantine period ended.

All Essendon players were tested for the virus on Friday nights, however, Conor’s test was the only one to come back positive.

Players and staff are all awaiting results from another COVID-19 test, with fears the team could lose its entire backline due to close contact with Conor.

However, AFL legal counsel, Andrew Gillon, has confirmed the game against Carlton on Saturday is most likely to go ahead, as long as the Bombers have 26 players available.

More From The Market Herald

" Aus Post & Qantas (ASX:QAN) boost freighter network

Australia Post and Qantas (QAN) are teaming up to boost the country’s shipping network, announcing the conversion of several passenger planes into freighters.

" AICD flags non-executive director climate governance concerns

A new study from the Australian Institute of Company Directors (AICD) found 77 per cent of company directors were concerned about the risk

" Bapcor (ASX:BAP) CEO departs early as relationship with board becomes “untenable”

Bapcor (BAP) has brought forward the date of its CEO and managing director’s retirement after an alleged “deterioration in the relationship” between the

" Oil bounces back as Saudi Arabia hikes January crude prices

Oil prices surged by more than US$1 (A$1.43) a barrel on Monday after Saudi Arabia, one of the world’s top exporters, raised price…