Source: NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s Twitter.
Market Herald logo

Subscribe

Be the first with the news that moves the market
  • NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian extends Sydney’s lockdown for another two weeks ‘at least’ amid 97 new local cases of COVID-19
  • The state’s daily COVID-19 case numbers are steadily rising despite lockdown being in effect for close to three weeks now
  • Ms Berejiklian said schools will remain closed over the coming fortnight, while residents in Sydney’s southwest are being urged to stay home even for work
  • The area is a hotspot for new COVID-19 cases and as a result, all essential workers will be asked to get tested for COVID-19 every three days
  • Victoria recorded seven new cases of COVID-19, with one of the infected persons attending the MCG during an AFL game at the weekend

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has extended Sydney’s lockdown for another two weeks amid 97 new local cases of COVID-19.

Premier Berejiklian announced the news on Wednesday, stating the lockdown would need to run for another fortnight at least.

“Based on the health advice I said I would provide information on the lockdown. And it always hurts to say this, but we need to extend the lockdown for at least another two weeks,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“That includes upon learning. We will assess the situation at the end of those two weeks and provide information beyond that.”

NSW’s daily case numbers have been steadily rising, hitting a high of 112 cases on Monday, before dropping to 89 cases yesterday.

Ms Berejiklian explained of the 97 new cases recorded today, 24 had been out in the community while infectious.

The state’s Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said many of these new cases were originating in Sydney’s southwest.

“Of today’s cases, the vast majority were in south-western Sydney. Seventy are from south-western Sydney local health district and most of these are from the local government area of Fairfield,” Dr Chant said.

As a result, the Premier and CHO were urging everyone in the area to stay at home, even for work.

From this weekend, essential workers will be required to take a COVID-19 test every three days in a bid to stop the virus from spreading further.

“Please know that if you have symptoms, you shouldn’t be going to work, you should be getting tested and going home until you get the help and advice,” Ms Berejiklian said.

“But if you are a worker who has no symptoms, and you are carrying out essential work, it’s okay for you to get tested where your work base is, near your workplace, to take pressure off the testing clinics in the local government area.”

In neighboring Victoria, seven new cases of COVID-19 were recorded today from two separate chains of transmission.

An additional case was also reported overnight in Melbourne, but authorities said all of the cases were either linked to a family who moved from Sydney to Victoria, or to the family removalists.

Additionally, health authorities in the state confirmed one of the new cases attended an AFL match at the MCG at the weekend, with the venue listed as an exposure site.

More From The Market Herald

" Tasmania continues to be the best-performing economy: CommSec

Tasmania continues to lead the rankings as the best-performing state economy in Australia, according to the…

" Hydrogen industry marks milestone with world first shipment of hydrogen

The Australian hydrogen industry just marked a milestone with the world's first shipment of liquefied hydrogen…
Prime Minister Scott Morrison. Source: APP

" Australia and PNG sign $580m agreement for PNG port infrastructure

The Australian Government signs an agreement with Papua New Guinea for $580 million worth of upgrades…

" Serbia scraps $3.3b Rio Tinto (ASX:RIO) lithium mine following weeks of protests

The Serbian government has this week bowed to local protestors and pulled the plug on Rio…