Total
0
Shares
Source: Reuters
Market Herald logo

Subscribe

Be the first with the news that moves the market
  • Victoria draws closer to reaching its 70 per cent first dose vaccination target
  • Melburnians will soon be able to travel to up to 10 kilometres from their home and have an extra hour of outdoor exercise
  • Premier Daniel Andrews is expected to announce a roadmap out of lockdown on Sunday with the state being in stage four lockdown since August 5
  • On Wednesday, 423 cases and more deaths were recorded, down from 445 cases on Tuesday
  • Mr Andrews has just confirmed that the regional town of Ballarat will enter lockdown at 11:59 pm tonight with the lockdown in Shepparton to end

Victoria is drawing closer to reaching its 70 per cent first dose vaccination target.

As previously announced, the Victorian Government has promised to double the travel limit for Melburnians to 10 kilometres and allow an extra hour of outdoor exercise once this target is reached.

Outdoor personal training can resume and outdoor communal gym equipment and skate parks will reopen.

Around 68 per cent of the state’s adult population has received at least one dose with the 70 per cent target likely to be reached this week.

This is one week ahead of schedule with a 70 per cent first-dose vaccination rate expected on September 23.

Premier Daniel Andrews is expected to announce a roadmap out of lockdown on Sunday.

“There will be a map that talks about what we are going to do in the rest of September, what we’re going to do in October and November,” Mr Andrews said.

“It will be subject to all sorts of things including how many people are in hospital.”

Melbourne has been in stage four lockdown since August 5 with most of regional Victoria enjoying relaxed restrictions from September 9.

On Wednesday, 423 cases and more deaths were recorded, down from 445 cases on Tuesday.

Ballarat lockdown

Mr Andrews has just confirmed that the regional town of Ballarat will enter lockdown at 11:59 pm tonight with the lockdown in Shepparton to end.

The Ballarat lockdown will last seven days after two new cases were reported in the region. Both are household contacts of a case announced yesterday.

However, Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton says it is likely there’s been a week of community transmission after wastewater detection picked up the virus from September 8.

“So there are likely to be more cases and it is for that reason that going to an immediate lockdown is really the right response,” Mr Sutton said.

More From The Market Herald

" Australians divided on Government response to COVID-19: survey

As part of Melbourne University, the McKinnon Foundation survey has found the majority of Australians found faults in the way State and Federal

" Canadian nickel miner Noront picks Andrew Forrest deal over BHP

Noront Resources, a Canadian-listed nickel miner, has agreed to be acquired by Fortescue Metals’ Chairman Andrew Forrest’s Wyloo Metals in a transaction that

" Government flags higher level of scrutiny for companies reducing carbon emissions

The Federal Government has introduced a higher level of scrutiny for businesses touting their plans to reduce carbon emissions.

" Mercedes Benz dealerships launch $650m legal action

The Australian Mercedes dealerships have filed a $650 million lawsuit against Mercedes Benz, after claims the parent company had tried to pressure independent