- NSW health authorities confirm a man in his 20s has died after contracting COVID-19 in Sydney's latest outbreak
- The man died at home after becoming infected with the Delta variant close to two weeks ago, with a second person from the house taken to hospital
- Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant says another woman in her 80s also died overnight and neither of the deceased had been vaccinated
- A total of 233 new cases have been identified in Sydney, with Dr Chant saying the state is enduring "one of the most challenging times"
- Queensland notched up 19 new cases of the virus on Wednesday, while South Australis recorded three cases — all in quarantine
NSW health authorities have confirmed a man in his 20s has died after contracting COVID-19 during Sydney's latest outbreak.
The man's death overnight was only the second time Australia had recorded such a young death since the pandemic began more than 18 months ago.
NSW Chief Health Officer Kerry Chant said the man died at his home in Sydney on day 13 of his infection.
He hadn't been taken to hospital but had been receiving telehealth checks when he deteriorated rapidly overnight.
Dr Chant said another person living with the man had also tested positive for COVID-19 and they had been taken to hospital as a precaution.
"You can imagine the trauma for that other person who has now been hospitalised," Dr Chant said.
"That person also had COVID and that person has been hospitalised and offered all care."
Dr Chant said another woman in her 80s also died from COVID-19 overnight and confirmed both of the deceased hadn't been vaccinated.
"Obviously our deepest condolences to his family and loved ones," she said.
"But it demonstrates again how this disease is lethal, how it affects people of all ages.
"Unfortunately the gentleman wasn't vaccinated, hadn't had any dose of the vaccine. We understand the death happened quite suddenly."
A total of 233 new cases have been identified in Sydney, with Dr Chant saying the state was currently enduring "one of the most challenging times".
The Greater Sydney Region will remain in lockdown until the end of August, with close to 3500 acquired cases recorded in the last six weeks.
In Queensland, another 17 new local cases of the virus were recorded on Wednesday, while two people in hotel quarantine also tested positive.
Queensland Deputy Premier Steven Miles said 16 of the new cases were linked to known outbreaks in schools, while a total of 63 cases have been linked to the outbreak.
South Australia also notched up three new cases of COVID-19 overnight, however all of the cases had been isolating or in quarantine while infectious.